Blush, Blossom and Bloom

I think the blossom season is one of the best times of the year. The freshest colours, prettiest smells and that calming feeling of all the newness Spring brings. 

Image from Claire's blog, following the growth of her pregnant belly
If you've read one of my earliest posts about my love for Autumn, you'll know I'm a big fan of bringing in the new, fresh starts and the excitement of New Beginnings. 

Historically, spiritually and mythically Spring represents newness. It's in our bones to feel peaceful with the arrival of pink blossoms and colours highlighted by a low laying sun. 



Soft pinks are featuring heavily in my life, this Spring. A few weeks ago I dyed my hair "rose quartz" in time for my 32nd birthday shenanigans. I did it the same time last year, too and I'm starting to think that blossom INVADES me. 

Dress from Rosie Hearts Vintage

Then I went and bought my new favourite P brooch from You Make Me Designs where you get to choose the colours you want your bespoke pin to be. Without thinking, I went for the gold and blush, which apparently matches the new 'do. 


 

Bloom of Bothness

Blossom pink makes my heart swell a little. There's a "bothness" about the colour that I really like; it's soft and hot, fresh and vibrant, exciting and soothing. It's both of all those, simultaneously. 

I feel like that's often the main part of my day job, to be Both; to inspire and to calm. I work at John Leggott College, the place I first fell in love with art. I'm the technician on their Art Foundation course, working with a great bunch of students to find their art voice and secure themselves a place at universities across the country. 

The Art Foundation is a time on your creative career where you're pushed to your limits, learning new skills, meeting tight deadlines, exploring and developing new theories, media and methods. 
It can be a really stressful year of a young persons life and I feel rather protective over their well being while under our responsibility. 
I've really enjoyed watching this group of young artists discover their visual language and personal interests. Oddly, a lot of the students have been playing around a lot with soft pinks...

Lucy has been making work about life, fertility, death and connections. Her stitching and drawing abilities are incredible. I really love her work and how she uses fleshy colours outside where we usually expect to find them. The detail in her drawings draw you in to spend time and thoughts on her art. 
Lucy will be heading off to study Fine Art in Leeds after summer and we are all very proud of her.


Hannah has been on a quite journey this year and the depth in theory behind her photography really reflects that. Hannah's mixed media work has it's heart in photography and she's been making a real impact with her approach and determination despite the trek she's had. 
The peach fabric in her recent photography really soften the severity of the collection and bring a sense of peace to an otherwise harsh image.
Hannah will be heading to Norfolk Uni in September, to study more behind the lens.  


Chelsea has also been on her travels through the misty crossovers of graphics and fine art. It always felt clear that her heart belongs to the fluidity that Fine Art offers. 
Again, using mixed media and college, Chelsea's work explores our connections to oursleves, others and the world around us. It draws you in with details, hits where it hurts and then calms with the colours and media she uses. I really like it a lot. 
Chelsea will be taking her soft pinks and more to Nottingham Trent (where I studied) to study Fine Art (what I studied), and I think she'll fit in just perfectly!


Natassja has thrown some spanners in the works this year and I've really enjoyed some of the challenges she's put us through. 
Her work is intended to entice and test us and how comfortable we are with sexuality, feminism, women in art and so on. 
The theories behind her work are heavy and engrossing, but the displays are fun, engaging and somehow funny. I love it. I love the pink and I think she's going to do just swell down in that there London at Central Saint Martins!



I like how, at a crucial time in their creative careers, these girls are all embracing the blossoming pinks and blooming peaches. Just as they're about to go off and being blooming blossoms in various new homes across the land! 

So, I say go ahead and welcome that inner bloom, blush like a good 'un and enjoy the blossom before it goes all mushy and stinky under your feet. 
 




This blog post has been fuelled by:
Jolie Holland's "Springtime Can Kill You"
And chocolate flapjack.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Girl Gang - JennaBellaDingDong

We're All Mad Here

2016 Pigeon Style